A consistent theme was how to succeed in an industry (hospitality, catering, event planning / production / design and all the supporting partners) that requires a great deal of commitment, and there were some specific points that came up around this for me as I really listened to what a plethora of speakers were consistent about which I am going to share here.
|Hillary Harris @wbhillary accepts her induction into the Hall of |Fame|
- Have people to support them. This includes a great team, great staff, partners or family, friends, colleagues and a peer network.
- Work with a PR agency (or person) to ensure their brand stays consistent across all channels. While this may not seem practical for all - if you want to build a brand, this is a piece of doing that.
- Have appropriate business support, filling their gaps - which could be accounting or business development, or organizational management as some examples - the range was vast and there is no right or wrong - just know what you are good at, and just as importantly, what you are not.
- Stay relevant. How - see the next tips.
- Share knowledge - in both directions. Event Solutions speakers included many smart and successful industry leaders and they didn't fly in and out for their sessions - they stayed and they learned from their peers too.
- Are information consumers - catalogs, magazines, blogs, websites, books, classes, nature and patterns - they are constantly seeking information.
- Seek inspiration - from other people, from the natural world, from design and architecture, from trends in food, beverage and fashion... as a start. They are also inspired by the brands they support.
- Stay connected. In person and yes, on social media. Sharing current work, being an inspiration, supporting others in and out of the industry.
- Stay fearful. There is always someone more connected, more knowledgeable and yes, just plain hungrier - successful people avoid becoming complacent.
- Are master researchers. They dig deep, and then seek context.
- Are generous of spirit.
- Give extra. There is no "good enough" button for anyone succeeding in business. They build and design, they have great partners and they push for everyone to deliver a best in class product and service every time. And have fun doing it.
- Are flexible. We all know things will never go exactly to plan so they plan well and know how to react and adapt.
- Eat well and exercise. You need to be healthy.
- Plan well and dream big. Think about where you want to be and create a path to get there.
- Don't define success by money, but by joy. The money will follow if you are truly doing something you are passionate about with people you enjoy doing it with.
- Ask beautiful questions - the kind that make you think instead of the kind that have an instant answer - they seek dialogue.
There is no secret path to being successful, and making it through challenging economic times and shifts in client desires while maintaining a personal life also. It requires being dedicated and interested, kind and thoughtful, and having a keen desire to create a successful life. If you are doing any of these, you are well on your way, and if you are seeking more, I hope these tips inspire you too!